A Dessert Too Good To Be True!

I looooove desserts (who doesn't?), but with my dietary requirements it can be hard to find a dessert that I have no reaction to.

Recently, I remembered a great rice dessert my mum used to cook, so I made up my own version of it! I thought I'd share it with you because a) it's cheap, b) it's yummy, c) it's easy-peasy to make and d) it's filling for hungry children!

This is it:

Cook rice in a rice cooker (it's stickier and more 'pudding-y'), while still hot add 2-3 tbsp of brown sugar depending on the quantity of rice and some chopped up fruit (we've tried pineapple, pear and apple so far). Serve.

Other versions:

To the recipe above, with pineapple and brown sugar, add marshmallows for an extra treat!
Cook rice, add some condensed milk - not so healthy, but a great emergency dessert!
Cook rice, add maple syrup and fruit.
Cook rice, add sugar and fruit.
Cook rice, add golden syrup or honey and fruit.

It's probably not everyone's thing and I don't have it every single night, but it's wonderful for my hungry horde AND my gluten-free, dairy-free, salicylate-free diet.

It's comforting, too. Funny how warm rice desserts are so soothing. Or is that just me?

Let me know if you try this one and if you come up with any other versions!

Comments

  1. I like to make a similar sort of thing. I love spices, and cinnamon is especially good in something like this, as is cardamom. You can also try adding sultanas and nuts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm I'm thinking that the condensed milk version would go down a treat here... Not that we need dessert! Actually, we'd love them all. Might try it this friday night... thanks Julie! grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think pineapple has sals actually.... but might have to try this on the kids I am thinking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brendan Malone - Church and State Summit 2018

Home Made

Just Call Me Susie-Home-Maker